Time: 30 minutes, stored overnight and approximately 1/2 hour of rolling out
Ingredients for Pastry Crust
6 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cups (3 sticks) frozen, unsalted butter, cut into 1 tbs. pieces
3/4 tsp. salt
6 large eggs
Steps for pastry crust
- Combine the flour, butter, and salt in the bowl of a mixing machine and stir to combine the ingredients.
- Add the eggs and run the mixing machine steadily until a ball forms and just begins to clean the sides of the bowl.
- Continue kneading with your hands.
• If the dough seems too soft, add 1 to 2 tbs. flour and run the machine for five seconds to recombine the mixture.
• If the dough seems too dry, add 1 to 2 tbs. ice water and do the same.
- Divide the dough into 2 pieces approximately 75% (for the bottom crust) and 25% (for the top).
- Shape the two dough pieces into discs and cover each with plastic wrap and place overnight in the refrigerator. (If you aren’t storing overnight, chill the crusts in the refrigerator for at least two hours.)
For the complete Timpano recipe, click here.